Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Translation continued

English to English translation (Samuel Putnam's version)
Amadis of Gaul To Don Quixote De La Mancha

Thou who didst imitate my own sad life
so full of loneliness and love's disdain
as on the Poor Rock I endured my pain-
My days once joyful now with sorrow rife,
To pay love's penance was my constant strife-
Thou knowest the taste of tears; for thee most vain
Were silver, tin, or copper plate; thou wert fain
To make of the earth thy table and chatelaine
But rest assured, thou livest eternally,
Or as long as blond Apollo in that fourth sphere
Doth guide on their heavenly course his fiery steeds.
Thy fame and valor shall unsullied be,
Thy fatherland remain without a peer,
And peerless the chronicler of thy brave deeds.


The Sweet Life

You who followed my own sad path
so full of loneliness and love worn
as on the poor rock, I felt the scorn.
My days once joyous, now all sullen.
This punishment, my constant strain.
You know the taste of tears, you too wanted,
like money, you were content
to make the world a feast of concubines,
but certainly, you can live forever,
or as Apollo looks down on all his works
guiding with his ministrations all breath,
your fame and courage shall go unblemished;
your homeland, you remain without equal,
and even more so, the ones who follow you.

********************

Note: this is a not a literal translation, rather it is
an attempt to update the language from the 1600s
to my 20th century mindset. If it were 21st century,
then I would put it in text message speak: N+so da 1s hu (r) so stalking u.
Now that would be weird