Thursday, September 20, 2007

Just because I am sick doesn't mean I can contribute

**collaged from the Electronic Poetry Listserve



WHAT ARE THESE FISH I DON’T KNOW FISH PLEASE HELP ME!

Please help me, what are these fish?
Large schools gathered tightly
in the Providence River,

Rhode Island. About 18" in length.

I can only guess invasive species,
maybe ocean-hungry spawning but
I DON'T KNOW FISH.

As soon as I saw them
the word "menhaden" came to mind
...I don't remember ever encountering this word
so I looked it up...
thank you Angel Heurtebise for the transmission...
what a lovely word....

If thin, smelt
or alewives.
If chubby, shad.

I believe the fish may be herring
which are found in the Providence River.
Herring have a black spot behind their gills,
as do those in your photos.

herring! yummy!
you remind me of the Norwegian B&B breakfast table!

In Newfoundland
there is a little feller called a Caplin.
resembles a Smelt

1 comment:

Andrew Hall said...

I dig this...

IF you haven't heard of Kip Addotta,

Check out Wet Dream

Google it.

It's a laugher.