Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Collaboration Research 2

I have chosen to study the late Robert Creeley, an American poet and author of more than 60 books. Creeley collaborated with artforms such as music and paintings. This included many works by Italian painter, Francesco Clemente. Creeley allowed the visual art to move him in his writing. Creeley's strongest poems are those stimulated by the visual art.

Some of Creeley's collaborations with Clemente can be found in the book Life and Death. The poem listed below is an excerpt from a poem entitled "Inside My Head." It is comprised of six short poems: "Inside My Head," "The Tools," "The Swan," "The Rose," "The Skull," and "The Star." I have chosen to post the first excerpt, "Inside my head." I discovered Creely's work at Poetryfoundation.org.

For the complete version of "Inside My Head," click the following link:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=171578

For more on Robert Creeley, click the following link:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=1509




Inside My Head
-excerpt-

Inside my head a common room,
a common place, a common tune,
a common wealth, a common doom

inside my head. I close my eyes.
The horses run. Vast are the skies,
and blue my passing thoughts’ surprise

inside my head. What is this space
here found to be, what is this place
if only me? Inside my head, whose face?

No comments: